christyherself

Christy Herself

...now officially on booklikes

Absinthe Doesn't Make the Heart Grow Fonder

Absinthe Doesn't Make the Heart Grow Fonder - Holly Kerr This story follows four women - Josie, Poppy, Lana and Meredith, friends for years - over the course of an evening while celebrating Josie's 40th birthday. Each chapter is told from the perspective of a different character.

I have to say, the book was not what I thought it would be. I was expecting, and to a degree, did get a book that tells of females bonding on an evening out. I expected secrets to come out - but this isn't an average group of women. Poppy is married to Kent, who has a bit of celebrity attached to him because of his success as a financier. Josie is married to a former CFL player (the story is set in Canada). Do not read the book expecting to hear secrets as you might expect to come out from a group of friends that you have.

The story starts with Josie, Lana and Meredith waiting for Poppy. Poppy's marriage is not happy, and a recent scandal involving her husband has not helped matters any. She refuses to talk about it most of the evening. Further, Lana was married to Poppy's twin brother, Ted, for several years - then decided abruptly that it wasn't working, while disappearing for a year to travel. Lana still refuses to say anything more than "it wasn't working" though she still clearly loves Ted. Josie is wondering if her husband is cheating on her because all of a sudden he is fanatical about going to the gym. And there's that new young, thin assistant he just hired. And Meredith has joined them after a bad day at work - she is a masseuse and had a client who wanted a "happy ending" - and also has to deal with Lana who isn't too happy with Meredith - because Meredith slept with Ted AFTER Lana divorced him.

The writing in this story is really good; the only problem I had was keeping up with the chapter switches. You have to remind yourself as you start each chapter which character is now telling the story. Further, if you are going to stop reading, don't do it in the middle of a chapter; make sure you finish it so you will have a fresh perspective when you get back to it.

That is, IF you can put it down! As a reader, I couldn't help but be drawn into this story, wondering as I read why DID Lana leave Ted? What exactly is going on with Poppy's husband? And surely Josie's husband isn't cheating on her. It is all woven together very well, and by the time you finish the book, you can't believe that everything that happened and everything that came out all did so in the course of a girl's night out for a birthday celebration.

And the book kind of has one of those endings where you go...WTF. Did that just happen? And not a bad WTF. Not to me. It was a definite twist that you probably won't see coming.