christyherself

Christy Herself

...now officially on booklikes

SPOILER ALERT!

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy - Helen Fielding Maybe it takes living a certain kind of life to love and enjoy this book. Some books make me cry, but very few. While reading this book, I alternated between laughing and crying.

Bridget is now a widow, having lost Mark Darcy in an accident in Sudan while negotiating the release of hostages. It is sad that Bridget has lost Mark because everyone, when reading and even watching movies, wants the happily ever after. But real life is not always happily ever after. People get divorced; people become widowed.

She and Mark had "late in life children" so she finds herself 51, widowed, with two young children. The diary gives a glimpse of what happened when our sweet Mark died in 2008, then we get a year of Bridget's life starting in 2012.

There was so very much in this book that I could identify with, which is why I laughed and cried. Being a single mother can be overwhelming at times. The thoughts and worries of being able to do it alone, of wondering if you are doing everything right, of hoping you aren't screwing your children up in the process of figuring it all out.

On top of dealing with that, at some point one has to think about starting to date again and it isn't what it was when Bridget and Mark met and dated. Now she is (as some would say) middled aged. There's online dating. There's Facebook, Twitter, texting that seems to make dating harder than it should be.

This is what all Bridget has to deal with, and she does so with humor, and melancholy, and with the help of her friends from the past books (though Shazza is gone...hate that, because what fucking good are fucking friends without one who says fuck every other fucking word?). Tom is still single, Jude is still single, and a new friend Talitha who is turning 60, 'worldly' and seemingly knows exactly what to do and say in any dating situation. Daniel Cleaver is still around and you won't believe it, but you'll love him.

She also makes some new friends, one who is a neighbor who lives across the street from her named Rebecca. I loved Rebecca. Any woman who throws her kids out of the house while screaming at them that she is disgusted with them becoming "techno crackheads refusing to do anything but stare" at computer screens and demand that she "service them...like...a five star hotel concierge" then tells them that she will enter them into The Hunger Games if they don't straighten up is my kind of woman.

All of this is what makes this book great. Bridget was never perfect, and still is not. Now she is dealing with life as a single, widowed mother, surrounded by friends who love her and help her deal. It is wonderful, or was to me, to read everything she goes through, including the emotional moments where she remembers Mark. We all have loss and know how she feels.

Don't not read the book because Mark Darcy has died. Read it because you've always loved Bridget.