christyherself

Christy Herself

...now officially on booklikes

Marriage Can Be Murder

Marriage Can Be Murder - Emma Jameson I'm a big fan of mysteries, and this one did not disappoint.

The book is set in England in 1939 during WWII. Dr. Benjamin Bones and his wife, Penny, who are on the verge of divorce, are being sent to her hometown of Birdswing due to the war, and how the government is working to have doctors in practical locations so no town goes without.

Penny feels that this will help their marriage, but Ben is thinking on the drive there that nothing can save it. Their car breaks down and again, due to the war, they are in pitch black dark because it is lights off to avoid the enemy from seeing the town. While they walk to get help, they are run over by another vehicle, and Penny is killed. Dr. Bones is injured.

Dr. Bones is forced from his depression of feeling helpless by local town member Lady Juliet. Lady Juliet is a no-nonsense, giant of a woman. She is estranged from her husband, who married her for her money. She (in a way) browbeats and manipulates Dr. Bones until he feels forced to get up and recover in order to do his job.

Soon, he mysteriously receives a note that says, "Sorry, it was supposed to be her, you weren't meant to be hurt."

What follows is Ben and Juliet's attempts to solve Penny's murder, while being surrounded by many wonderful colorful supporting characters. The local air warden also serves as a constable. His job as air warden is more important to him, and he is bumbling. His sister, anxious to get away from him, moves in with Dr. Bones to help with the office work as well as being a housekeeper/cook.

The interaction between Ben and Juliet is the highlight of this story. They fumble, they snipe, they laugh. I should mention that Juliet feels like a bit of an outcast; a woman who stands 6 feet tall and feels as if she towers over all men that surround her. She has been teased about this throughout her life, which is why she is so headstrong.

A great whodunit, wonderfully written, that kept me on the edge of my seat. I didn't want to put it down because I was dying to know whodunit!!